Sunday, August 30, 2009

Saurkraut 101

It is SO easy to make your own saurkraut. It just takes time and patience. I just harvested my 6 green cabbages today. I could only use 4 for saurkraut and will use the other two like my Grandma Sadie would have done and fry it up with some bacon and salt and pepper...Yep...can live off that stuff for as long as it lasts!

Here is the process for making saurkraut.... it takes anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks to "cook" or "ferment"....I personally like a strong kraut flavor and go for the 8 weeks, but if you like yours mild.....can it at at 6 weeks.

First, line a 5 gallon bucket with a trash bag. Next,shred the cabbage very thin. Place a layer of shredded cabbage dust lightly with kosher salt and either caraway or dill seed (This year I alternated both varieties). Place another good layer of shredded cabbage and do the same.... this process ending with the seasoning of choice or NONE if you decide.

Now put a clean trash bag over the top of your cabbage. Now fill the trash bag with water (to seal your cabbage underneath!!!....I move the bag around a bit (without breaking the bag) to get out as much air as possible.....the water in the second bag completely seals your cabbage.

Keep your bucket in a cold dry place from 6-8 weeks. I like mine REALLY sour so I will go the 8 weeks....but at 6 weeks your kraut is mild yet tart and ready to eat!

FYI: If you do not eat it immediately, you should process it in pint/quart jars.......Please know that your kraut needs to be processed or eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment