Saturday, January 9, 2010

Halibut with Coconut Curry Broth

Since moving to AK I have learned to love Thai food and especially curry. Since I have a freezer full of halibut, I googled a lovely recipe for a Thai-Style Halibut with Coconut-Curry Broth. I did find it necessary to spice it up a bit and had to modify the spinach (I used my own garden-grown New Zealand version of home canned spinach).

2 tsp. oil
4 green onions, chopped
2 tsp. green curry paste and 3 tsp. red curry powder (depends on how spicy you like it)--I also added about 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper-but we like it HOT
1 cup chicken broth
1 can coconut milk
salt to taste
2 cups spinach (I used my own homegrown, canned spinach)
4 cups diced zuchinni
4 (6 oz.) pieces of halibut, skinned
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
2 TBSP lime juice
Black pepper to taste
2 cups cooked rice

Heat oil, add onions and stir 3-5 min. Add curry and cook until smelling nice...3-5 min. Add chicken broth, coconut milk, and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes. Salt both sides of the halibut fillets. Place fillets in sauce and coat both sides. Cover and simmer for 7 minutes. Remove fillets to individual serving dishes with approx 1/2 cup cooked rice on the bottom. Add spinach to remaining sauce. Heat through about 4 minutes. Ladle spinach/sauce over the top of the halibut rice and serve.

*** add 4 cups diced zuchinni,

No comments:

Post a Comment