Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Goodnight Waffles

NOPE!  again not my recipe.  This blue ribbon recipe came with my Waring Pro Waffle Maker.  This recipe takes quite a bit of prep time--maybe 45 minutes up front, another 15 in the morning and then your baking time.  But, oh is it ever worth it!  |Without fail, this recipe elicits rave reviews.  "The best waffle I have ever eaten!",  "It's so light!  I don't get it", "OMG, this is heaven."
  All comments are correct, but the final product does not come without effort.  Be patient.  This recipe is for people you really love. I usually double the recipe but am giving you the original here....it makes 6 good sized waffles.

1/2 cup lukewarm (105 F water)
1 TBSP sugar
2 1/4 tsps. active dry yeast (or 1 yeast packet)
2 cups whole milk, warmed to 105
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp. salt (I like kosher and it will break down over night)
2 cups flour
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. baking soda

The night before, or at LEAST 8 hours before--combine the water, sugar and yeast.  Let this sit and marry for 10 minutes until frothy and happy.  Stir in the warm milk, butter and salt.  Beat in the flour until smooth on low (I use my old fashioned hand-mixer instead of my kitchen aide)  Cover the bowl or wrap tightly with plastic wrap.  Let it sit overnight at least 8 hours.  DO NOT REFRIGERATE!

In the morning you may have an alien on your counter top!  All the better!  Preheat the waffle iron.  To your batter you will now want to:

Stir in the eggs, vanilla, and baking soda.  Pour by scant (about 1/4 cup fulls into waffle iron maybe a bit more).  I typically provide the following options prior to baking:  Macadamia Nuts, Pecans, or Plain?  Add these to the iron as requested.

Yum!  Serve with any or all of the following:

Apples, Bananas, Cherry Pie Filling, Whipped Cream, Blueberry Sauce, Etc......

No comments:

Post a Comment