Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mustard!

Don't laugh! Yes, you heard right! I am making Mustard. Why? Because I LOVE the stuff. I think most people are either a ketchup/catsup or a mustard person. My Germanic roots demand that I make things like saurkraut, brats, potatoes and other things that probably should not be in my diet. The recipe I am providing has been modified from the original because I don't particularly care for nutmeg in a condiment like the original recipe called for, and I wanted to sharpen the taste instead of sweeten it. By the way, I made a batch and hot-packed (canned) 5 small 1/2 pint jars. Please don't be put off by this. It's an easy-do because you don't need a home canner. You only need a big stock pot, enough water to cover the top of the 1/2 pint jars and boil for 20 minutes.

This recipe MUST shelve for at least 4 weeks before you open the jar.
1 1/3 C. Ground Mustard (I used Colemans Dry Mustard)
1/4 C. yellow mustard seeds
1/4 C. brown mustard seeds
1 C. water
Whisk this together in a saucepan.

In a separate pan combine and simmer for 20 minutes:
2 C. Apple Cider Vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1/4 C. brown sugar
2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground Coriander
1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground Ginger



Let the spices cool. Then add 2 TBSP honey and mix well.

Now you can pour the mix into small jars to hot water bath for 20 minutes if you want to save on your shelf for time eternal. If not, pour into a dish and it will keep for a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment