Saturday, October 24, 2009

La Posta Green Chile Enchiladas


When I married Jim (almost 21 years ago), I inherited a cookbook that is now out of print. The copyright date on it is 1971. The La Posta Restaurant in Old Mesilla, New Mexico was once a stagecoach stop on the famous Butterfield Trail and has been serving some of the best food the Las Cruces area has to offer since 1939. My favorite dish (and I make it often) is Enchiladas Verdes (Green Chile Enchiladas). Please note that the "Original" recipe calls for layering enchiladas in a pancake-style fashion, not ROLLED up the way I do. Either way, they taste the same.

1 doz. corn tortillas (yellow are best)
3 cups green chile sauce (see recipe below)
2 cups grated cheese

Allow 2-3 tortillas per person. Fry tortillas in hot oil to soften. Quickly dip in sauce and build on plate layer-cake fashion with grated cheese sprinkled between the layers. Spoon green chile sauce over each enchilada and top with grated cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. Serve with shredded lettuce as a garnish and sour cream if you desire.

Green Chile Sauce (Chile Verde)
12 green chile peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, deveined and diced into 1/2" pieces.
1 cup canned, diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 small garlic cloves or garlic powder
1 tsp salt
water

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and add only enough water to slightly cover. Simmer for ten minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I would love a copy of this cookbook! I visited this restaurant over thirty years ago and still remember the wonderful food!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking at purchasing one of the copies from the restaurant's website or next time I go to Las Cruces to visit family. The only recipe I am really unsure will be the same is the Chili con Queso. I used to have a photo copy of the original cookbook but it got lost when I got divorced. So I am just wanting to be sure I get the real recipe for my favorite Queso on the planet.

    ReplyDelete