Sunday, January 9, 2011

Garbanzo Nuts

Need a healthy, low-fat, easy to make snack to eat while watching the college football playoffs?  In lieu of chips, try Garbanzo Nuts.  I have altered the original recipe which came to me from the cookbook "Simply Colorado".  I love these little "pseudo-nuts"--as they satisfy my desire for crunchy and salty without the fat and are high in protein.

1 Can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed

Seasonings you can try:

1 tsp. lemon/pepper seasoning and 1 tsp. garlic powder

or

1 tsp. smoker rub (Katherine Helmuth's recipe---I don't know what's in it) and 1 tsp. dry barbecue rub

or

Any combination of seasoning you like...I'm going to try some garlic and dill weed with sea salt.

Sprinkle dry seasoning over garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to coat lightly.  Place in a single layer on a baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray.

Bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes at 350 or until crunchy.  Stir 1/2 way through cooking time.  Allow to cool before eating or storing in a dry container.

1/2 cup = 110 calories, 0 fat, 7g of protein

No comments:

Post a Comment