Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pop Over Pie

Putting on the Pop Over Pie!

I learned this trick as a little girl....a quick and easy-throw it all together- dessert.  I don't eat dessert.  But I made the "Girl on the Couch" a Cranberry Cottage Cake with Lemon Sauce and had left-over cranberries and thought, "What the devil am I going to do with these?  I hate throwing good food away."  Remembering favorite childhood desserts that are easy to throw together I naturally thought of Pop Over Pie which can be made from any fruit.  I only had about a cup of cranberries, so I perused the pantry shelves for other canned fruit to accompany and happened upon sliced peaches that have been begging to be opened for a few years.  Yeah, peaches and cranberries would make a beautiful marriage.  Here is my mom's recipe for Pop Over Pie.

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
 3/4 cup milk (I use skim but use whatever you have
1 stick butter
Fruit of your choice (I have used peaches, apples, cherries, blueberries...anything goes here)


Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and milk while you are melting the stick of butter in the oven in 9x9 baking dish.

When butter is melted, pour on top the batter, then spoon fruit over the top and bake for about 40-50 minutes or until done.  Especially wonderful with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment