Thursday, November 24, 2011

Aunt Darlene's Pineapple Upside Down Cake

There is no better dessert to serve on a day we are supposed to give thanks than this recipe. I loved my Aunt Darlene. She was a strong-willed woman. No beating around the bush, a devout Christian, sweet, loving and intelligent with a fabulous sense of humor. In addition, she was a great cook and this is one of my favorite recipes. My cousin Debra had to give this recipe to me twice (I lost the first one) but the second one she sent has a permanant home in my most prized recipes book.

This is what you will need:

1 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 can pineapple, sliced (reserve the juice to replace the water in the cake mix)
Marachino cherries
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 1/3 cup (pineapple juice from the canned pineapple and enough water to equal)

Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet and sprinkle with the brown sugar, add the pineapple and a marachino cherry in the pineapple hole. Cover with chopped pecans or walnuts (I use pecans).
Now mix the yellow cake mix according to directions. 1 pkg. Yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, 1 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup oil. Beat for 2 minutes. Pour over the top of the pineapple/nut mix and bake for 1 hour at 350 or until set.

Once done, let sit until semi-cool (about 10 minutes). Use a butter knife and go around the edge of the skillet. Invert on a serving dish.

Today, Thanksgiving Day 2011, I am giving thanks for the strong women in my life...my grandmothers, aunts, mother, and cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment