Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pizza!

There is absolutely NOTHING I love more than homemade pizza. The act of making the dough, kneading, resting, kneading. Making the sauce, chopping the ingredients and placing them on the crust as if they were art. Letting the final production rest for a few minutes before serving....Without exception, every pizza I have ever served the hunky hubby he exclaims that it is the best pizza he has ever had. HA! I hope to have the same reviews tonight.
I am trying very hard to be carb-conscious. I've made this almost flourless pizza crust before and remember it to be very good or else I would not have included it in my "permanant" cookbook. I am only sorry that I don't have a name to attach the credits to. Please know that I don't take credit for this recipe but can vouch for it's yumminess.

Zucchini Crust Pizza

A normal pizza on top, and a beautiful zucchini, egg and cheese crust, with flecks of green and a slight crunch. The herbs in the crust really add an extra surprise. Who knew that pizza crust could actually be healthy as well as non-fattening?

3 1/2 cups coarsely grated zuchinni
3 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup flour (you can use rice flour or other gluten-free binding)
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 TBSP fresh basil, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Salt the zucchini lightly and let it sit for 15 minutes. Squeeze out the water that comes off. Combine all ingredients, spread onto a sprayed pizza pan, bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Spray the top with nonfat cooking spray and broil under moderate heat for 5 minutes until browned. You're going for a crispy crust.

Assemble the pizza as you normally would. (See my recipe for Flying Pie Pizza Sauce---it is the best and will freeze well). We are topping ours tonight with Turkey Pepperoni, Canadian bacon, red peppers, onions, mushrooms, cheese and black olives. Bake your pizza for 25 minutes at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment