Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kale Chips!

Summer at its peak and my plot at the community garden is bursting with produce.  A few years ago I read about the remarkable health benefits of eating kale and decided to grow and pressure can this wonderful, leafy green God of the Brassica family (cabbage).  I read in "The World's Healthiest Foods" http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=38 that kale is one of the most beneficial, if not the #1 veg-of-choice for warding off 5 different types of cancers, detoxifying the body and lowering cholesterol. 

Certainly my pressure-canned kale (similar consistency to any other canned greens) is a staple on my shelf that I can easily access all year long, however, kale chips are a treat that I only enjoy in the summer (unless I want to buy the fresh stuff at the store---and, truthfully, I don't even know if we can get kale in winter.)

These crunchy chips are positively addicting and much healthier than snacking on potato chips or other processed foods.  In addition, they are so easy to make that it's almost embarrassing that I bother to dedicate a post on this.  However, because I am a firm believer in sharing the wealth when it comes to good food and even better, food that is good for you, here it is.

Kale Chips
Preheat the oven to 350.  Wash kale, remove the rib and stem, break the leaf into desired size (I like about the size of my palm).  Toss with a little olive oil and a seasoning of your choice (*go easy on the salt--it's very easy to over-salt these babies).  Here are some seasoning suggestions:  salt, season salt, bbq seasoning, lemon pepper, garlic salt, onion powder/salt and the list is endless.  Place loosely in a single layer on a baking tray and bake until crispy, about 10-15 minutes.  You will want to store them in a breathable container and eat fairly soon.  I wouldn't worry though, they will disappear from sight almost immediately.  Enjoy them while you can!

P.S.  Send me your seasoning ideas too.

No comments:

Post a Comment