Friday, November 23, 2012

Hubbard Squash Soup or Hubbard Squash Curry

Hubbard Squash Soup



I've been anticipating the day when I could finally use the Hubbard squash and the last of my carrots I grew in the garden this year and what better day than on Thanksgiving when we are reminded to be thankful. I am thankful for the bounty of vegetables we grew this year.

Most of the recipes I researched included brown sugar or maple syrup and I knew I didn't want something sweet. Luckily I found a recipe posted by Jillian Bedell at http://www.fromaway.com. This soup is brilliant! I knew just from the aroma wafting from the oven door that this squash was going to be one of my favorites to grow and eat from now on. Although I did change up the recipe a little by adding yellow curry to kick it up a notch.

Blue Hubbard Squash Soup
1/2 pint heavy cream (I'll use coconut milk instead next time if using curry)
1 bay leaf
1 TBSP ground sage
1/2 stick butter
3 finely chopped carrots
2 finely chopped celery stalks
1 diced onion
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cayenne
2 cups mashed Hubbard squash (NOTE: 1 squash will make 2 recipes--Freeze the other 1/2)
2 oz. brandy (I used one of those miniatures)
1/4 cup flour
32 oz. chicken broth
salt and pepper
3 TBSP yellow curry

Preheat the oven to 350F. You don't even need to take the seeds out until after it is baked. Cut the squash in 1/2 and roast in the oven for 1 1/2 hours or until tender when pricked with a fork. Remove and allow to cool, then remove the seeds and the pulp is easy to remove from the skin. Steep bay leaf and sage in the cream or coconut milk by bringing to a boil, then reducing the heat to as low as it can go and allow to simmer while you prepare the rest of the soup. In a soup pot, melt butter and cook onions, carrots, and celery until soft. Add nutmeg and cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the brandy and stir in squash and flour. Add chicken stock and curry, cook for 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and add the cream/coconut milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment