Thursday, June 6, 2013

Barbecue Ribs with High-Bush Cranberry Barbecue Sauce

Summer has officially begun and what better way to kick it off than with barbecue.  The key to any good barbecue is in the sauce.  In the fall every year, I put up pints of high bush cranberry ketchup.  I'm not a big fan of ketchup, but I do love this recipe.  I make this ketchup from the very cranberries that grow around the perimeter of my yard.  The barbecue sauce recipe I am including here is both sweet and hot with the bite of cayenne pepper.  Make the sauce first, refrigerate overnight, then do the ribs.  If you are in need of high bush cranberry ketchup email me and I will see that you get a pint.

Barbecue Sauce:

2 cups high-bush cranberry ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 TBSP yellow mustard
1 TBSP onion powder
1 TBSP garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat.  Stirring occasionally and simmer for 20 minutes.  The barbecue sauce should be thin but not watery.  Allow to cool and store in a Tupperware container for 24 hours in the refrigerator.

Ribs:

5 1/2 lbs Boneless Country Style Pork Ribs
2 1/2 TBSP garlic powder
2 tsp restaurant quality black pepper
1 TBSP Salish (smoked salt---get it at Fred's in the Deli)
2 TBSP Kosher salt

 Step One:
These are the ingredients you need.  The Salish does make a difference!  I hope you can get smoked salt where you live.  It is also great on grilled fish.





Step Two:  Use a large pot, cover ribs with water and add all but the BBQ sauce.







Step Three:
Boil for 45 minutes.






Step Four:
Remove the ribs from the water and place in a large baking dish.
 

Step Five:
Reserve 1/2 cup of sauce for ribs after they are out of the oven.  Cover with 1/2 the sauce, turn over and cover with the other half.  Cover with foil (I like to use the no-stick stuff---it really works).
Bake me at 325 F for 1 1/2 hours.

 Step Six:
Bake at 325 F for 1 1/2 hours or until ribs are at 160F (internal temp) and tender.  Brush with the remaining 1/2 cup of sauce and serve.
















2 comments:

  1. I make cranberry ketchup. Can't wait to try the barbecue sauce. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make cranberry ketchup. Can't wait to try the barbecue sauce. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete