Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spiced Lemon Quinoa-Diabetic Friendly- Vegan meal or Side Dish


While perusing through my recent Sunset Magazine (May 2011), I knew I had to try this recipe. Quinoa is a great whole-grain food that is Diabetic Friendly. Because there are so many diabetics in my family, I am always on the lookout for meals to prepare they can enjoy. Too often, we forget that many foods we recognize as staples such as potatoes, pasta, and rice are, in fact, NOT good for our loved ones with diabetes. One cup of quinoa has 222 calories, 4g of fat, 5g of fiber, a WHOPPING 8g of protein and 0 sugar.So glad I tried this recipe This goes in my KEEP file and I'll be adding this to my Tried-and-True Personal Cookbook (Thanks Mom for getting me started on this!). The dish is just as good served cold as it is hot. I have included the link where you can find the original recipe as well. This South Indian dish was submitted by Kavita Aiyar.

This is what you will need...

2 Tbsp. yellow spit peas
5 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. black or brown mustard seeds (I get them at Sunshine Foods or the organic section of Safeway)
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. curry (original recipe calls for 5 curry leaves-which are not available in Fairbanks)
1 serrano chile, minced
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. kosher salt
5 oz. package of baby spinach (I used the 7 oz. package-but I love spinach!)
1 cup cooked red or white quinoa (I use red)
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 TBSP chopped cilantro

1. Simmer the split peas with 2 cups water until tender, about 25-30 minutes. Drain and pat dry on a paper towel. Set the peas aside.

Putting it all together:

2. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, add mustard seeds, cover with a lid and cook until they pop (2 minutes or less), stir in cumin, peas, curry, chile, turmeric, and salt. Cook, stirring often, until peas start to turn light golden (2 minutes). Remove the mixture to a bowl.

3. Add spinach to the pan, increase heat to medium-high and cook just until wilted (1-2 minutes). Drain any liquid. Stir in quinoa, split-pea mixture and 2 tsp. lemon juice. Add more lemon juice or salt to taste preference. Scatter cilantro on top and serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment