Monday, June 4, 2012

Alaska Blueberry Special Cake

While clearing out some of last year's salmon to make room for this years supply I noticed that I haven't used many blueberries this year. I took out a pint and pondered what to do with them. I've already made pies, jams and syrups. Turning to a cookbook on the shelf, "Best of the Best from Alaska Cookbook", I found two recipes that competed for my attention. Alasks Blueberry Special Cake and Blueberry-Rhubarb Pie (which I WILL try later). ISBN 18936062-42-2 about $11.82 if purchasing in Alaska....$16.92 elsewhere.

This cake does take a bit of preparation but uses few ingredients and was fairly easy to prepare.

1 yellow cake mix
1 large package lemon pie filling (I like the cook and serve best---but if short on time go ahead and try instant)
1 (12 oz.) carton Cool Whip (I used 8 oz. just because I don't like whipped cream)

Mix cake according to package directions. Bake in a 9 x 13" pan. Cool. Mix lemon pie filling accordi9ng to package directions. Top the cooled cake with the lemon pie filling; let cool, cover with Cool Whip. Serve with Blueberry Sauce (see below).

Blueberry Sauce:
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP corn starch
dash of salt
2/3 cup water
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (yes, there is a difference between wild and farm-raised blueberries)

Cook all ingredients except the blueberries until thick. Add blueberries, return to boil, chill completely and serve over the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment