Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Garam Masla Halibut with Watermelon Curry

Damn Supertramp!  "It's Raining Again"....that song has stuck in my head for the last 3 days...but how appropriate!  I can't get outside to garden, clean up the yard or even target practice.  It's a little chilly so what to do but cook something really decadent!  Perusing my freezer I find I have one lonely package of halibut left.  I also have a shelf full of watermelon jelly that never jelled.  What does one do with watermelon jelly that did not set? Last year, after making a batch of watermelon pickles (made of the rind), I was left with 3 large watermelons and happened upon a recipe for watermelon jelly. Sounded good at the time, but it did not set and I was left with this delicious watermelon "syrup". I've thought long and hard about what to do with these jars of ruby-colored treasures. It makes sense to pair this sweet confection with something that has a bite! Chile or curry is an obvious choice...but how and with what? I took out the last package of halibut today and knew I wanted to do something different and use that watermelon jelly.

I am using a recipe from Thailand but changing it considerably by using my watermelon syrup and adding halibut. The original dish does not include meat but tofu.  I've also changed the ingredients in that I am using garam masala heavy with cinnamon and cumin. By the way...the ONLY place I have found you can purchase whole okra is the Asian Market in the Aurora subdivision. These vendors are very friendly and helpful....it's the only place I have found kafir (lime leaves for Pad Thai and Lau Lau).  Ask me for watermelon jelly as I you wont be able to buy it anywhere. 

For the reluctant chef, I advise skipping this recipe....This is for the intermediate to advanced chef. Newbies will hate just shopping for the ingredients, much less the time it takes to prepare and cook.

Let's get started.

4 halibut fillets, skinned
garam masala, to coat both sides

Bake halibut in a 375F oven until almost done (10-15 minutes). Debone and chunk into bite-sized pieces and set aside.

Watermelon Curry:
Watermelon (peel, seed and chunk the red(**Set aside, this goes in last), cube the white peeling to cook like you would a potato. Zucchini cut diagonally
Eggplant, peeled and diced into 1" dice
10 okra, wash and slice off the head but leave intact or whole
2 sweet peppers siced
3 green chiles, sliced
Thai green curry paste (use to your preference--we like it hot)
1/2 pint of watermelon jelly
1 can Coconut Milk
1 tsp. fish sauce
Sesame Oil

**Watermelon chunks are the last to add.

Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add white watermelon rind, zucchini, eggplant, okra, and peppers. Cook until tender and add green curry. Add watermelon jelly and simmer for 5 minutes. Add water to simmer and reduce heat for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chunked halibut, fish sauce and the red part of the watermelon. Mix lightly and serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment