Saturday, March 20, 2010

Alaskaladas revisited

The original recipe comes from the "Best of the Best from ALASKA cookbook"
I hate to override a recipe, but being from New Mexico, The Land of Enchantment...I don't mind when it concerns my green chile or any ingredient that I feel I personally own. This dish is formally titled, "Alaskaladas"....it's a retake on a quick and easy enchilada casserole using moose (which I love). Bake at 350 for 1 hour....let it st for 10 minutes before cutting.

1-2 lbs ground moose
1/2 onion chopped (I like yellow)
1 TBSP garlic minced
2 small cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can stewed diced tomatoes ( I used RoTel)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 8 oz. can diced green chili.( I confess...I used this and another 3 TBSP of the sacred Gallup Green Chile that I hoard)
1 cup cubed Mexican Velveeta (don't bother looking for it....Fairbanks doesn't carry it...just add 2 TBSP of good chile flakes or southwest seasoning if you carry that)
1 tsp. garlic salt....I LIKE garlic and make it a good rounded amount
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
12 corn tortillas, softened in oil

The original recipe calls for mozzarella cheese to top and put in between layers.....No DECENT native of the southwest would approve of this combination. Although I live in Alaska and respect this state and Grannie Annie's Cookin ' at the Homestead (where this recipe comes to you from)...I cannot allow this combination of flavors----YUK! Get some Mexican cheese to repace this, or Montery Jack. Mozzarella and green and red chile should only be combined with pizza, crepes or quiche.....NEVER an enchilada-style dish! And, I have NEVER used Velveeta in a dish....will have to report the success or failure thereof. It is in the oven as we speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment