Monday, March 8, 2010

S..I..C..K..

Woke up this morning with a sore throat, drippy nose and full of head congestion. Glad it is Spring Break and I don't have to get a sub! Still, I am making the most of it. Cleaned the closets...go to the teacher's lounge-first come first serve get my clothes if you want them. More to come....cleaning the shirts and pants closet tomorrow.

Presently I do not have an appetite and have not eaten all day....but tonight I am making an all time favorite of Veggie Quiche. The first time I had quiche was at my beautiful cousin Judy's baby shower with her first sweet baby Brady! The menu is hand-written in my cookbook (1979-80)...I was all of 19 years old but knew this recipe was important and I needed it. I have used it for for over 30 years but feel I have gone beyond that original creation...spinach quiche and ham and cheese crepes. I have gone way beyond the original spinach quiche recipe....but I always like to reflect back to where I started and appreciate how far I have come.
..
Tonights Quiche:

1 leek, split and sliced thin
1 shallot diced
3 small zuchinni, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 TBSP chopped garlic
1 pkg. sun-dried tomatoes, reconstitued (leave out the water)'
5 Artichoke hearts, diced
2 TBSP dried thyme (I used my own home-grown lemon thyme)
Salt and Pepper to taste (I like to use Sea Salt)

1/2 cup crisp fried bacon....OR use the precooked stuff
2 pie shells
4 eggs (I use more)
2 cups half and half (I use more)

Layering ingredients in quiche is important.....start with pre-cooking your crust....not long, but enough to hold your wet stuff. Next, put in the bacon...that' s important!.....then put in your content.....is it veggies, ham, spinach, crab. chicken....etc..... after that you must put on the cheese. Top all of this with the egg/half and half and bake.

Some of our favorites are:
Chicken and Green Chile
Spinach and Mushroom
Crab and Artichoke

Serve this with some Whole Wheat Multigrain Sourdough Bread and a light herb salad and you are the Goddess of the night!

Don't be afraid of using different cheeses, veggies and meats. I love Goat Cheese, I am also a favorite of the Krab.....use whatever you have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment