Friday, March 12, 2010

Skinny Oven Fries

Growing up with potatoes at almost every meal was normal. Heck...Sunday breakfast was fried potatoes, eggs, sausage and biscuits and gravy. This is a great recipe that I don't actually feel like I'm CHEATING with additions of grease, cheese, butter, sour cream, and all of the other nasties we associate with taters. Not to mention that the hunky hubby and I grow at least a 100 lbs a year.

When I open the cookbook for this recipe it automatically jumps to this page. This is because I have made it so many times that the book and I are in sync. I don't remember when I purchased it...probably when I lived in Los Alamos and worked for Los Alamos National Laboratory. I know it was in the 80's when I was completely into the fat-free-all-oil-and-grease-are-bad-for-you phase. This recipe has endured the test of time and there are just those recipes you love and come back to time and again, not necessarily because they are healthy, but because they actually taste good are and you love them. This is the BEST french fry (without the fry) recipe you will try. I swear you will love this one. Please try it only once and it will become your new favorite too.

2 tsp. Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
4 large potatoes (I prefer skin on but it's your choice)
2 TBSP Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 350. Mix seasonings. Cut potatoes into 8 wedges; toss with oil. Sprinkle potatoes with seasonings. Bake until soft when pricked with a fork, about 45 minutes. For crispy fries, bake an hour.

Oh yes....and the Cranberry Cottage Cake with Lemon Sauce in this book is also a MUST have! I make this recipe 2x a year. Get this cookbook!!!! Simply Colorado: Nutritious Recipes for Busy People-Colorado Dietetic Association. Mail order to Colorado Dietetic Association, 6930 So. Bemis Street, Littleton, CO 80120.

No comments:

Post a Comment