Saturday, March 6, 2010

Blackened Ahi Tuna Steak and Orange Curry Couscous

Today I really looked at my pantry and realized how RICH we really are. So many weird and yet normal goods are in there. I think we could live for a year on just the fru-fru that that is in there. Spring Break is upon us and I went to town this morning with a specific agenda.....I must be crazy! I have a months worth of meals prepared that that I plan to do in a week....Which brings me to this point....How many of us cook by smell? Really....the Sicillian Spaghetti I make is judged and monitored by SMELL alone. The NOSE determines when the right amount of spice is added. The dish I am profiling here is kind of the same in that when preparing it, you must SMELL the almonds as they toast. Is there a better scent than toasting almonds and curry? The secret to toasting nuts is this: Microwave for one minute....stir-let sit for another minute- microwave another minute. I used to to the whole non-stick pan on the stove and toss frequently, but the microwave method is just as good.

Sensory overload on this dish! Orange zest, cinnamon, curry, toasted almonds...how much better does it get? A LOT!!!! If you are a fan of Thai or curry or couscous or warm salads...this is the dish for you. I got this recipe from one of our parents who served this last year during Teacher Appreciation Week. I won't post her name, because I did not get permission to give it.

I can't begin to tell you how wonderful and truly aromatic this dish is. Lovers of Thai will make it often. Easily serves 8 to 10 people.

Orange Curry Couscous

Orange Curry Dressing:
1 cup lite seasoned rice vinegar (you will find this in the Asian Section of the store)
2 TBSP minced garlic
2 TBSP grated orange peel or zest (in the spices dept.)
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt (I ALWAYS use sea salt)
add gradually 1/4 cup canola oil

Combine the above ingredients with a wisk or blender adding oil slowly. This recipe will make more than you need.

Couscous:
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups couscous (uncooked)
1 C fresh parsley, minced
1 C chopped green onions
1 C almonds, toasted and chopped (to toast: microwave 1 minute, stir, microwave another minute, stir..the smell of this will drive you insane)
1 C currants
1/2 C. garbanzo beans

Bring the water to boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes. Transfer to a dish and allow to cool. Add 1/2 the dressing, add the remaining ingredients, stir to coat. Add more dressing if dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment