Thursday, July 2, 2009

New Twist on Fish Sticks

So last night I made these wonderful fish sticks and I can't and won't take credit for the recipe. I watch way too much FoodNetwork and on Everyday Italian Giada made these incredible looking Parmesan Fish Sticks. I downloaded the recipe and were they ever excellent! If you need to get in your Omega 3's to help lower cholesterol and maintain a healthy heart, and are not particularly fond of salmon I recommend this recipe.

18 oz. salmon skin removed cut into finger-sized strips
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 egg whites
1 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Olive oil for drizziling

Dipping sauce:
1/3 cup reduced fat mayo
1/3 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
1 TBSP dill weed (her recipe called for parsley or chives)

Preheat oven to 450. (I know it seems like a high temp)

Lightly coat salmon fingers in flour, roll in egg whites, roll in bread crumb/Parmesan mixture. Place on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.

They are crispy and crunchy and really good. Serve with that dipping sauce.

I also made some Crabmeat Egg Roll Appetizers to go with last nights supper. I won't take credit for that either. This recipe comes from "The Winterlake Lodge Cookbook" by Kirsten Dixon (my hero!)

2 oz. thin rice stick noodles (maifun)
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1 lb. cooked crab (I used King crab, very expensive, but this is one time I think you can get away with using imitation crab and it would be just as yummy)
1 cup finely shredded Napa cabbage (I used Joi Choi from my garden)
1 small carrot, finely shredded
2 tsp. Asian fish sauce (nam pla)
2 green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
1 egg, beaten with a fork
Oil for deep frying (I used Canola...she say's to use Peanut)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin (Japanese rice wine)--you'll find this in the vinegar isle or the Asian aisle
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and minced

Bring a pot of water to boil. Put in the rice noodles, turn off heat, cover and let sit for 10 minutes then drain, rinse and chop to about 1/2 pieces. Mix together the crab, cabbage, carrot, fish sauce, 1 of the green onions, salt and pepper and add the noodles.

Fill egg roll wrappers with about 2-3 TBSP of filling, brush egg on 2 edges and roll up to seal. Deep fry to crisp, turning once (about 5 minutes).

Dipping Sauce:
Whisk together the other green onion, soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar and ginger.

DIP AWAY!!! YUM :)

No comments:

Post a Comment